Caio Terra is a bjj black belt under Master Paulo Maurício Strauch. He is also known for his motto “Technique Conquers All”. He was promoted to black belt by Reyson Gracie and Paulo Strauch just after 3 years of training. He is one of the most dominating fighters in rooster weight and the lightest person who has won absolute category. Learn more about his biography in bjj heroes.
- Your BJJ journey is remarkable! Can you please tell us more about your journey, when did you start and is there any secret for progressing so fast?
I started at the age of 16 to 17. I always had good grades in school but not so great in sports. So started doing what I was good at: studying and trying to understand jiujitsu instead of mimicking.
- You won many tournaments and proved that you are one of the best in the world, can you share the most memorable wins and losses.
All wins and all losses were important. It helps shaping you into who you are.
- Can you share with us what are your biggest influencers during your growth? Who are the people behind Caio Terra that helped to achieve so much?
I have a friend, Luis Guilherme, if it wasn’t for him I would have given up jiujitsu. So he’s by far my biggest influence.
- Recently you made your Euro Tour, tell us more about your time in Europe. Where have you been? Tell us an interesting story from the tour. What do you think about the level of bjj in Europe?
It would be easier to tell you where I have not been haha The level in Europe has been growing year after year. I can’t wait to see the first European black belt world champion, might not be next year or maybe not in a few years but I’m sure it will happen in the next decade.
- Tell us more about Caio Terra San Jose Academy. What is your policy about guests? Can people just come and visit your training if they are training under another academy?
Of course, the most important thing in jiujitsu is that we meet people from all different cultures, social levels and races. It’s the only place where you can find a CEO of a huge company truly interacting with someone who is unemployed or has a much weaker skill. On the mats we are all equals and at my gym we love meeting new people.
- Travelling and globetrotting is trending in jiu jitsu what is your opinion about this?
People should do what makes them happy.
- Tell us more about your Caio Terra website. What can people get from subscribing to it and what can they expect from it?
I always say it’s not my website. It’s our website. I made this website for everyone. I’m highly open to all suggestions and I am always looking to improve. I have many people change their entire jiujitsu game after my website and been able to see them growing so much is very rewarding.
- Can you share some of your routines? Tell us more about your training and eating habits? How did you manage to transform yourself from small, bullied teeneeger to World Champion?
I try to stay away from that. I eat what I want and train as much as I can.
- What are your plans/ goals for the future? Tell us more about your projects
I’m working to spread our jiujitsu and philosophies. I’m glad it’s been working out well and not too fast. I like to take time to meet all our affiliates and truly know about them.
- What do you do in your free time? Tell us more about your life outside the mat? What do people, who are living the bjj lifestyle, do when they are not on the mat?
I don’t have free time, honestly. I’m super busy.
- What is your advice for the people who practice bjj? What do white belts need to do to improve their performance?
They need to stop worrying about getting better and start wanting to have fun. Go try a new technique because it’s fun, not because it will make you better. Getting better is just a consequence of being on the mats having fun.
- Can you give some advice for the blue, purple, brown and black belts too?
No matter what belt you are, never forget you love jiujitsu because it’s fun. Be always thankful you get to spend time on the mats.
Watch Caio Terra story video here:
Caio Terra highlights
We care about Jiu Jitsu so much that we decided to create this page for all the people like us – that eat, breath and live the Jiu Jitsu Lifestyle! We truly hope our content will make every one of your days better, on the mat and off the mat!