Perhaps you’ve noticed recently that stepping onto the mat is starting to feel more like a chore. As Jiu Jitsu practitioners get older, what were formerly small problems can grow. Thankfully there are many affordable supplements that can increase energy, metabolism, and your immune system. Supplements are easy to add to your routine, and can improve overall health.
Review Of The The Best Supplements For Men Over 40
Nature’s Made B12 – Boost Your Energy
One of the biggest challenges that might keep someone out of the gym is a lack of energy. After you get off work, the idea of going to the gym might sound like climbing a mountain. Consuming sugar and caffeine only gives you a small burst of power, and it might raise blood pressure.
- Energy metabolism support supplement: contains one 150 count bottle of Nature Made Vitamin B12 1000 mcg Softgels for a 150 day supply(1)
- These Nature Made Vitamin B12 softgels help break down food into energy that your body can use all day long
- B-12 vitamin supports brain cell function and production of neurotransmitters needed for mood health
- Vitamin B12 is important for proper red blood cell formation and for vegetarians and vegans who may not consume enough from diet alone
- Adults take one B 12 vitamin softgel daily with water and a meal
Vitamin B12 has been shown to help improve energy levels and could help give you that extra push to make it to the gym!
- Adding B12 to your diet can help your body digest food better, and leave you with more, lasting energy to have throughout your day.
- People who have low B12 levels might feel sluggish.
- Take one pill with a meal, like breakfast or lunch, and feel better longer lasting energy.
Nature Wise D3 – For Healthy Bones and a Strong Immune System
If you are someone who works in an office, or takes the night shifts, it’s possible that you might be low on vitamin D3. Although people often associate this vitamin with sunlight, it’s possible to get it in other ways too.
According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, a vitamin D deficiency can lead to osteomalacia and some evidence shows vitamin D plays a vital role in the immune response.
- MOST ACTIVE FORM: NatureWise Vitamin D3 in organic olive oil helps to support the health of teeth and bones, provide immune support, and promote proper muscle function.*
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- RECOMMENDED DOSE FOR KIDS & MOMS: 1000IU is the recommended amount of vitamin D3 for growing children and expecting mothers, but our product is intended to safely encourage calcium absorption and immune system strength in any user.*
- SUNSHINE IN A BOTTLE: The Vitamin D Council recommends daily vitamin D supplementation for most adults to achieve and maintain optimal levels, regardless of weather or season.* NatureWise Vitamin D3 is all natural, non-GMO, and gluten free with no artificial additives, fillers or binders
- ESSENTIAL VITAMIN: Our formula delivers the same biologically active form of vitamin D that the body produces as a result of sun exposure, without the harmful effects of UVB rays.*
- Similar to calcium, vitamin D can help support healthy bones.
- One serving of this supplement carries 1,000 IU which is the recommended dose for children.
- Nature wise sells these bottles with 360 capsules inside, this is enough for a year’s supply.
- Take 1 capsule daily with food.
Nordic Naturals Ultimate (Omega 3) – For Heart Health and Longevity
“Blue zones” are areas where people have longer than average life expectancies, and all of them are near the water. Many people in these countries consume seafood regularly and thus enjoy a diet naturally high in Omega 3 fatty acids.
However, if seafood isn’t a regular part of your diet, or you don’t enjoy seafood, taking an Omega 3 supplement can be a great way to get the benefits all the same! (Without a fishy aftertaste.)
- – WHY OMEGA-3S – Research shows that the essential fatty acids EPA & DHA in fish oil support heart, brain, eye & immune health. Omega-3s may also help support a healthy mood
- – #1 FISH OIL BRAND IN THE U.S.** – Nordic Naturals Ultimate Omega features high concentration omega-3 fish oil in soft gels. This formula meets the daily recommended dose suggested by the American Heart Association to support a healthy heart. **Source: ClearCut Analytics Amazon Segment Sales last 12 months ending April 20th, 2022
- – BETTER ABSORPTION, BETTER TASTE, NO FISHY BURPS – All of our omega-3 fish oil concentrates are in the triglyceride molecular form (the form naturally found in fish) for optimal absorption. Ultimate Omega has a great lemon taste
- – PURITY GUARANTEED – Every batch of Nordic Naturals fish oil is crafted from fresh, wild-caught, omega-rich fish. We are committed to using only non-GMO, gluten- & dairy-free ingredients with no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- – ETHICAL INNOVATION – Nordic Naturals has always been at the forefront of sustainable & ethical practices in the natural products industry. Through science & innovation, we are committed to delivering safe, effective nutrients for optimal wellness
- Unlike other brands of Omega 3 pills, Nordic Naturals flavors theirs with a lemon taste.
- Omega 3 can be beneficial to your heart health.
- Nordic Natural is a company that is devoted to sustainability and their Omega 3 pills are non-GMO.
- It is also said that Omega 3 can support a healthy mood.
- Take two tablets daily with food.
Nature’s Bounty Magnesium Supplement – For Strong Bones and Relaxed Muscles
Like vitamin D, magnesium can help develop bones and muscles. BJJ practitioners over 40 should seriously consider adding magnesium to their diet. Like iron we get magnesium naturally through foods. Magnesium also has anti-inflammatory properties. If you don’t consume a lot of fish in your diet; Omega 3 and magnesium can help give you the minerals you’re missing.
- SUPPORTS BONE AND MUSCLE HEALTH (1): Magnesium plays an essential role in supporting bone health and maintaining bone mineralization. (1)
- 500 MG OF MAGNESIUM: Each tablet of Nature’s Bounty Magnesium contains 500 mg of Magnesium, which is 119% of the daily recommended value for this important mineral
- VITAL MINERAL SUPPLEMENT: Magnesium is involved in muscle contractions, nerve impulses, energy metabolism, and protein formation (1)
- NO ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS OR SWEETENERS: Nature’s Bounty Magnesium is free of artificial flavors and sweeteners, and is gluten free for your dietary needs
- UNSURPASSED QUALITY AND VALUE: Using the latest breakthroughs in nutritional science and the finest ingredients, Nature’s Bounty provides supplements of unsurpassed quality and value
- Magnesium can relax muscles, perfect for after training.
- Magnesium can help in bone production.
- This is a vegetarian and non-GMO supplement.
- According to healthline.com Magnesium may also reduce your risk of developing heart disease.
- Take 1 tablet per day with food.
Kirkland Therapy Fiber Capsules – For Cholesterol Control
Crossing the 40 year milestone might mean we need to start thinking about cholesterol. Some supplements can be used in tandem with a specific diet to lower cholesterol. By lowering high cholesterol you can prevent risk of heart disease later in life. Fiber capsules can also be used to help more minor problems like constipation.
- Fiber supplement/laxative
- Daily source of soluble fiber
- Bulk forming laxative
- Kirkland Therapy fiber capsules are gluten free.
- Serving sizes vary depending on goals; if you are using to lower cholesterol consult your doctor before doing so.
- One serving contains 2.4 grams of fiber.
- Take 2 capsules per day for raising fiber intake; 6 capsules a day for lowering cholesterol. Make sure to always drink at least 8oz. of water with every serving.
Solgar Chelated Zinc – For Immune Support and Healthy Skin
One important part about training BJJ is that we need to look good for the pictures we take after class. Taking Chelated Zinc will not only support your immune system, but it will also help you have healthy skin. Many supplements on this list are listed to help you feel younger, but Zinc might help you look younger too.
- Optimal Absorption; Solgar Chelated Zinc contains a patented, chelated form of zinc to help promote optimal absorption; The 22 mg of zinc in this formulation represent 200% of the recommended daily value
- Immune Support; Zinc exerts antioxidant activity and can support a healthy immune system; It also supports cell growth and DNA formation
- Collagen Support; Zinc contributes to healthy skin, nails, and hair; It plays a role in the synthesis of collagen in bone tissue
- Non GMO, Gluten Free, And Kosher; Solgar Chelated Zinc Tablets are suitable for vegans; Free of: gluten, wheat, dairy, soy, yeast, sugar, sodium, artificial flavor and sweetener
- The Gold Standard: For over 70 years Solgar has been committed to quality, health, and well-being. Our mission is to create the finest nutritional supplements in small batches, through tireless research, using only the finest raw materials
- Something that takes many Jiu Jitsu practitioners out of the gym is being sick! Having a strong immune system helps practitioners stay in the gym.
- This is a vegan and non-GMO supplement
- Take 1 tablet daily with food.
Bulk Supplements Creatine Monohydrate – Building Muscle and Brain Health
Being over 40 doesn’t mean you need to start letting your body slow down. It also doesn’t mean you have to stop growing your muscles. One of the best things you can add to your BJJ game is weight lifting and strength training. Creatine is an excellent supplement that will help you build muscle. Additionally, creatine has been shown to help with memory and cognitive abilities.
- 💪 For Muscle Mass – Creatine, or Creatine Monohydrate, is one of the most widely-used workout supplements. If you’re trying to pack on lean muscle mass, supplementing with our creatine monohydrate powder, or creatine nutritional supplements, can help! Add our unflavored powder into your daily routine for additional muscle support!*
- 🏃 For Energy & Endurance – Creatine Monohydrate powder, a creatine powder, helps boost energy to your muscles, which support performance.* Our Micronized Creatine powder allows you to have more energy throughout the day. In addition, this creatine supplement may also help with recovery between sets allowing you to push harder and longer than before!*
- ✔️ Pure & Unflavored Creatine – Unlike some other supplements, our creatine monohydrate powder, or creatine powder, is micronized and is an effective form of creatine supplements which makes it more easily absorbed by the body. Our Creatine powder is also flavorless and has no artificial flavors. Simply add our pure creatine powder to any pre-workout shake and you’re good to go!
- ✨ Supplement your Workout – Take our pure & unflavored Creatine Monohydrate powder daily to support your workouts. Each serving contains 5g, about 2 tsp, and our creatine powder is free of gluten, dairy and soy for those with dietary restrictions. Add our Creatine supplement into your daily routine and regimen in easy to use powder!
- ⭐ High Quality – All Pre Workout with creatine by BulkSupplements are manufactured according to cGMP Standards to ensure the highest quality for manufacturing, packaging, labeling, and holding operations. We third party test our creatine micronized powder at multiple stages during production, procedures and equipment to ensure compliance, standards and consistency.
- This supplement can be used to gain weight and build muscle.
- Creatine helps energize the body and the brain.
- Can be mixed into delicious smoothies with fruits.
- This supplement is Vegan friendly.
- Take 2.5g-5g daily and drink large amounts of water.
Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein Powder – For Lean Muscle Mass
If you are looking for another high quality supplement to build Ronnie Coleman level muscles then look no further than Optimum Nutrition’s “Gold Standard” protein powder. Protein is a vital part of gaining lean muscle mass and is a staple post-intensive workout supplement.
- Packaging may vary – new look with the same trusted quality
- Gold Standard 100% Whey – 24g of protein per serving to help build and maintain muscle when taken over time with regular resistance training
- 5.5g of naturally occurring branched chain amino acids (BCAA and 11g of naturally occurring essential amino acids (EAAs) per serving to support muscle recovery
- Anytime formula – great before or after exercise, between meals, with a meal, or any time of day when you need extra protein
- The world’s best-selling whey protein powder
- Optimum nutrition has over 20 different flavors to choose from.
- Can be taken with any meal, not just before or after workout.
- Vegetarian friendly (however, not vegan as this product contains dairy)
- One serving contains 24 grams of pure protein.
- To use mix 1 scoop with 8oz. of milk, water, or other beverage and stir for 30 seconds.
Orgain Organic Protein – Vegan Solution for Lean Muscle Mass
If you are looking for a protein powder that is organic, Kosher, and vegan friendly, you might be surprised to know that there are options for you. Orgain makes a sugar-, soy-, and lactose-free protein powder that gets its protein from plants.
- Includes 1 (2.03 pound) Orgain organic plant based vanilla bean protein powder
- 21 grams of organic plant based protein (pea, brown rice, chia seeds), 2 grams of organic dietary fiber, low net carbs, 0 grams of added sugar, 150 calories per serving
- USDA organic, vegan, gluten free, dairy free, lactose free, low net carbs, no added sugar, soy free, kosher, non GMO, carrageenan free, and no artificial ingredients
- Mix with water, milk, or your favorite protein shake recipe for a quick breakfast or snack drink. Use when baking to give your cakes, muffins, brownies, or cookies a protein and energy boost
- Ideal for healthy, on the go nutrition for men, women, and kids. These are great for meal replacement, smoothie boosters, muscle recovery, and pre or post workouts
- One serving contains 21 grams of organic protein.
- This brand also is an excellent source of fiber (2grams per serving,) which can help someone who adheres to a strict diet.
- Orgain is a company that is also devoted to reducing the amount of plastic they use.
- Mix 46 grams into a container of 10 fluid ounces of water.
Puritans Pride CO-Q10 – Improved Cardio and Oral Health
Coenzyme Q-10, or CO-Q10, is naturally produced by the body and has been shown to be helpful for improving cardiovascular function. As we start to age, our body produces less CO-Q10 than it used to, hence the need for supplementation. CO-Q10 can also support a healthy immune system.
There is also evidence to support that CO-Q10 can promote healthy gums. Be careful when ordering this product in the hot summer months because the pills can stick together. If this happens, move them to a cool place and gently hit the bottle to break them up.
- Helps support a healthy heart and cardiovascular system
- Product Note: Exposure to heat or sunlight may lead to melting/damage of product. Hence customers are expected to be available during the product delivery
- Promotes energy production within your heart and muscles.Store at room temperature
- Supports good oral health, which has been linked to cardiovascular health
- Contains a four- to eight-month supply of easy-to-swallow, rapid-release softgels that offer superior absorption.
- 200 milligrams CO-Q10 per softgel
- Take 1 a day with food.
Tribulus Concentrated Extract Formula for Testosterone – Natural T-Boost
Many men start to feel a drop in their testosterone as they get older. Tribulus offers an easy to take pill that will help boost your natural testosterone levels up. These capsules are vegetarian friendly, and offer the highest Saponin count on the market.
- The Highly Active Form of Tribulus for Men- Toniiq Tribulus is a super-concentrated extract. It contains an unprecedented 95% saponins, the main active compound in tribulus terrestris supplements that is commonly attributed to its powerful health benefits.* Other tribulus and testosterone booster supplements contain less than 45% saponins!
- More Saponins = More Value – Each serving of our 1300 mg tribulus provides you with a whopping 1,235 mg of saponins, making this one of the highest strength tribulus supplements available.
- Setting a New Standard for Purity – To ensure that you are getting the highest-quality product, each batch is tested for quality and purity both during and after manufacturing.
- Quality, First, and Foremost – Toniiq products are produced in a GMP-certified and NSF-approved state-of-the-art manufacturing facility right here in the USA.
- Each Batch is Individually Tested – We test each batch both ourselves and through a third-party independent laboratory to ensure our ingredients contain the correct standardized level of purity and active ingredients. We also test each batch for any possible additives, contaminants, and impurities to ensure the highest level of quality.
- This is an excellent way to bring testosterone levels up if you are feeling a drop.
- With this supplement you should not exceed the recommended dose and should consult your doctor before taking.
- Take two capsules every day with food and water.
Bronson Selenium – Immune Support Plus Healthy Prostate and Thyroid
Like CO-Q10, this product will support your immune system. Unlike other supplements on this list, Selenium is a great supplement to take for prostate health. Prostate health may sometimes be embarrassing to talk about, however as we cross the 40 year milestone, it’s a conversation that needs to be discussed!
Selenium can also help with your thyroid, which can boost metabolism.
- Immune System, Thyroid & Metabolism Support: Selenium naturally supports immune system, healthy thyroid, prostate function. Selenium may also play a key role in metabolism in both men and women.
- Chelated Superior Absorption Selenium: By utilizing the premier manufacturer of chelated minerals (Albion), Bronson’s Selenium 200 MCG provides easy absorption, stability and overall quality. Albion Minerals are backed by science and an impressive 150+ patents ranging from manufacturing processes to food applications.
- Yeast Free Essential Micronutrient Selenium Amino Acid Complex: Selenium is a natural micronutrient that may play a vital role in many essential body functions.
- Superior Quality: Laboratory tested Non-GMO, Gluten Free, Soy Free. All Bronson products are tested in our state-of-the-art cGMP registered facility in New York.
- Trusted Since 1960: The pioneers of Bronson Vitamins were a group of pharmacists who witnessed the benefits of vitamins and mineral supplementation firsthand with their patients. Bronson Vitamins have been consistently mentioned by top medical professionals since our inception in 1960.
- This supplement is vegetarian friendly.
- Bronson Selenium is completely yeast free.
- This supplement is non-GMO, soy free and gluten free.
- This supplement has 250 capsules per bottle, providing a long lasting supply.
- Take 1 capsule daily with food and water.
Keto K1000 – Post Workout-Recovery and Cramp Prevention
There are many supplements that can give you lasting energy throughout the day, and improve your workout routine. Pre-workout supplements are certainly important, but post-workout supplements can be crucial for men over 40. Keto K1000 is specifically engineered for post-workout benefits and can help treat cramps – something all BJJ practitioners deal with.
- KETO APPROVED ELECTROLYTE SUPPLEMENT – Keto K1000 electrolyte powder is a high potassium supplement designed to help with hydration, increase cellular energy, eliminate cramps and beat the Keto flu. Customized mineral and trace minerals drink with 1,000mg of potassium. Specifically formulated for keto and intermittent fasting. Delicious taste with the highest-grade stevia.
- NO ADDITIVES – The non-GMO, vegan, and gluten free formula of this electrolyte powder is great for athletes and fitness. There is NO added sugar, soy, calories, maltodextrin, or artificial junk! Made with natural sea salt and trace minerals to help assist with rapid rehydration and morning recovery.
- PEAK HYDRATION & CELLULAR ENERGY – Electrolytes support cellular energy and healthy muscle and nerve function. Potassium rich electrolyte powder can help to replenish and rejuvenate cellular energy to keep you on-the-go. This soluble, performance electrolyte powder gives you 1,000 mg of potassium per serving. Our bodies need the equivalent of 4,700 mg of potassium citrate each day and many people only get a fraction of this in their diet.
- ULTIMATE HYDRATION – Keto K1000 electrolyte powder provides the perfect balance of electrolytes and potassium to help support hydration, muscle recovery and healthy energy levels for fitness, intermittent fasting, and low carb lifestyles. Blended in USA.
- 50 SERVINGS – Contains 50 servings of electrolyte and trace mineral support powder. This supplement also contains necessary minerals Zinc, Calcium, Manganese, Sodium, Potassium and more. Mix one scoop into 16 oz of water. Do not take more than one serving every four hours, or three servings a day. For first time users, take half of one serving to ensure tolerance.
- Comes in 3 different flavors
- This supplement comes with a high content of potassium, and can help if your diet doesn’t include a large amount of fruits.
- It is not recommended you take three or more servings of this supplement per day, because it can lead to levels of potassium that are too high.
- Take by mixing 1 scoop with 16 ounces of water
What You Need To Know About Supplements For Men Over 40
It’s natural to feel a little skeptical when reading about dietary supplements. Many supplements are marketed as miracle cures, but you may not feel that miraculous after taking them. This sort of marketing is problematic as it sets up unreasonable expectations.
Instead, think about the metaphor of two ships traveling side by side in the same direction. If one ship alters its course by even one degree; in 10 years it will be in a completely different place.
This is a great metaphor to think about when talking about overall health. To be healthy, you can’t just take a supplement one time and expect to live longer. A healthy lifestyle is built on years of doing many small things over and over again.
If you have questions about a certain supplement it’s always a good idea to talk to your doctor before adding it to your diet. Healthcare professionals are always a more reliable source than the marketing on the bottle or anything you might read online. Keep in mind that supplementation is not a replacement for an overall healthy lifestyle.
Importance of Good Nutrition
Dietary supplements are an excellent way to bring up low levels of important nutrients in your body. However supplements alone can’t make you healthy. There is no replacement for a healthy diet and healthy lifestyle. Keep in mind that if you were to consume large amounts of protein without exercising, the weight you gain won’t be the muscle mass as advertised!
If you are someone who doesn’t consume seafood, Omega 3 and fish oil can be an excellent option for you. But if your diet is low in fish, consider that you might be consuming too much red meat and eating seafood can be an excellent replacement for some meals.
Finally if you are someone who adheres to a strict vegetarian or vegan diet, supplements can be a vital source of fiber and protein. Many supplements are now marketed to be green, and environmentally friendly. Keep in mind that a healthy diet is only half the battle, supplements cannot replace an active lifestyle.
According to the National Center for Biotechnology Information, there are many different kinds of supplements. The main categories are vitamins and minerals, herbs and botanicals, and animal derived products. While all can promote a healthy lifestyle and provide a missing portion in a diet; you should think about your goals before taking one.
Supplements can also come in different ways to consume them. While many are pill shaped or in capsules, protein usually comes in a powder. Before you simply put a supplement in your mouth, carefully read the instructions on the bottle. Some are meant to dissolve under your tongue, or be mixed with milk, juice, or water.
If you are concerned that you might be suffering from low levels of a certain vitamin in your diet, you’ll be happy to know that your doctor can find out for you by doing blood work. Receiving a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals might make an enormous change with how you feel in your day to day life. It also might help you live longer.
Changes in Physiology in Men Over 40
A healthy lifestyle is one that prefers prevention over intervention. With dietary supplementation we can hopefully prevent many health concerns before they get out of hand. Coming to a mature age means we need a more mature outlook on our health.
One serious problem that might be fixed with a supplement is energy loss. It’s easy to talk about the importance of a prolonged active lifestyle, however it’s harder to implement if you feel fatigued throughout your day. Coffee is great, but drinking it later in the day can lead to a caffeine addiction or cause sleep disruptions, and the energy it gives is short and fleeting.
You might notice changes in your health that aren’t necessarily problems, but also not beneficial. For example it might become significantly more difficult to lose weight. This can be beyond frustrating. It might feel like one unhealthy snack undoes a week’s worth of healthy eating and exercising.
While some of these metabolic changes are simply a natural part of aging, others can be lessened or offset by intelligent supplementation.
Can men over 40 benefit from taking supplements?
Men over 40 can greatly benefit from taking supplements. One of the most common things they can help with is slowing metabolism. Consuming sugar becomes much more dangerous as we get older, and can lead to higher blood pressure, and unnecessary weight gain. Supplements can also help with the health of your heart, and cholesterol levels.
Which supplements should men over 40 take?
Men over 40 should determine which supplements to take based on their current health needs, and goals. Determining if you need to add minerals to your diet can be determined through blood work. If you are looking to build muscle, then consult your doctor about taking protein and testosterone.
Which supplements help men over 40 build muscle?
To build muscle with the help of supplements, men over 40 should look at taking protein, testosterone, and creatine. These can be used both for pre workout, and post workout meals. Increasing your intake of protein can be very helpful if you have a vegetarian or vegan diet.
Is creatine good for men over 40?
Creatine can be healthy for men over 40. It can promote weight gain, build muscle, and support healthy brain functioning. However if you are looking to lose weight, creatine may not be the right option for you. Consult your doctor before adding a large amount of creatine to your diet.
Supplements can improve health for men over 40, especially when taken with specific goals in mind. Growing older doesn’t mean that we can’t live an active lifestyle, or that gaining unhealthy weight is inevitable. It does mean that a more mature and honest outlook on health is called for.
Although some supplements can appear to have little to no effect, over time taking the right supplements can lead to a much healthier and happier life.
Best Sellers on Amazon Arranged by Rating
Jack is a BJJ purple belt who holds a bachelors degree in English Literature. He enjoys traveling, reading, and the Bow and Arrow choke. One day he hopes to teach English overseas and become a published author.