Medicine balls are one of the most diverse pieces of exercise equipment that you can use. There’s a wide variety of medicine balls available, and it’s hard for beginners to know which are the best.
That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best medicine balls currently available on Amazon. We also added sections on what to look for in a medicine ball and various exercises you can do with them.
Trademark Innovations Exercise Slam Medicine Ball (Best Starter Medicine Ball)
- Sand filled, no bounce slam ball
- 9″ diameter
- Made from PVC
- 15 pounds
- By Trademark Innovations
- Material: PVC and Sand Filled
- Weight: 15 lbs(6.8 kg)
- Diameter: 9 in(22.86 cm)
The first product on our list is the Trademark Innovations Medicine Ball . It is our choice for the best medicine ball for those just getting into medicine ball training.
Trademark Innovations made their medicine ball out of PVC, which has a smooth texture and is easy to grip. It’s filled with dense sand that prevents the ball from bouncing when you’re doing slam exercises.
They made their ball at a solid 15 lbs(6.8 kg), which is perfect for various exercises. You can use this exercise ball for everything from building strength and endurance or implementing it into a core workout.
Amazon and customers also agree that this is a great product. Awarding it the Amazon’s Choice product award and a near-perfect Amazon rating.
Garage Fit Wall Ball (Best Variety)
- ★ GRIP ENHANCING CONSTRUCTION: Unlike rubber exercise balls, the…
- ★ GREAT FOR VARIETY A VARIETY OF EXERCISES: Whether it’s wall ball…
- ★ IMPACT-ABSORBING BUILD: In order to minimize injuries, these…
- ★ HIGHLY DURABLE BUILD: You can play and workout with peace of mind…
- ★ PREMIUM DESIGN: The stylish synthetic leather build of the soft…
- Material: Faux Leather
- Weight: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 25, 30 lbs(1.8, 2.72, 3.62, 4.5, 5.44, 6.35, 7.25, 8.16, 9, 11.33, 13.6 kg)
- Diameter: 14.17 in(35.6 cm)
Garage Fit makes a great product that’s our choice for the best wall ball with the Garage Fit Wall Ball . This ball’s design is a mix of old school with a new age twist, made of faux leather.
It has a large diameter of 14.17 in(35.6 cm). Giving this ball a wide impact range when hitting a wall.
Then, along with having a large diameter, the ball’s texture is soft yet durable. Giving it the durability to take impacts while being comfortable to grab and hold.
The designers at Garage Fit made their wall ball in an incredible twelve different size options. Give customers of various skill and strength levels an option to get a great wall ball workout.
Smart Body Symmetry Ball (Best Medicine Ball For Toning)
- PATENTED DESIGN: Cut-out handles provide a comfortable grip and allow for…
- ROTATIONAL POWER TRAINING: Dual-handled design makes the Symmetry Ball ideal for…
- DESIGNED FOR SAFETY AND DURABILITY: No plastic parts that break. No metal…
- FULL RANGE OF EXERCISES: Ideal for swinging, rotating exercises, kettlebell…
- ALL-OVER TEXTURE FOR NO-SLIP HAND AND SURFACE GRIP.
- Material: Rubber
- Weight: 6, 8, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20 lb(2.72, 3.62, 4.53, 5.44, 6.8, 8.16, 9.07 kg)
- Diameter: 9 in (22.86 cm)
Smart Body comes in next with their Smart Body Symmetry Bal . This ball was our pick for the best medicine ball for toning on the list.
It has the most unique design of any other product on our list, with handles designed into the ball. They are non-slip rubber handles that allow users to get a solid grip on the ball without dropping it.
By adding these handles to the ball, it allows you to do more toning exercises with a bigger range of motion. Allowing you to do more functional exercises than with a traditional medicine ball.
The designers at Smart Body made their ball in seven size options that are separated by color. Not only giving their customers a functional piece of equipment, but also quite a stylish one.
Everlast Medicine Ball
- 1. BUILD STRENGTH AND POWER: engage the entire body with classic medicine ball…
- 2. EASY HANDLING: the textured surface makes it easy to grip even during your…
- 3. TRANSITION EASILY BETWEEN WEIGHTS: the color-coded detail allows for easy…
- 4. CRAFTED TO ENDURE: made of rigid rubber material for unmatched quality and…
- 5. DIVERSIFY YOUR HOME GYM: add this versatile piece of equipment to your home…
- Material: Rubber
- Weight: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 15 lb(1.81, 2.72, 3.62, 4.53, 5.44, 6.8 kg)
- Diameter: 10 in(25.4 cm)
For years, Everlast has been the standard for making top-quality boxing equipment. Of course, they would make a medicine ball, which boxers helped popularize in their training.
The Everlast Medicine Ball is a hard and durable rubber medicine ball designed with a non-slip grip. You can do everything with these balls, from slams, throws, or core work.
Even though it’s made of hard rubber, the ball is easy to grip and won’t slip out of your hands. Even when you get sweaty, you should still be able to hold this ball easily.
Everyone from commercial boxing gyms to those with home gyms has these medicine balls in their gym. Whether you’re a pro boxer or want to get in shape, this medicine ball will do the job.
Dynamax 20 lb Soft-Shell Medicine Ball Standard (Best High-End Medicine Ball)
- All Dynamax medicine balls are 14″ in diameter, impact-absorbing, moisture and…
- Soft-shelled with a heavy duty durable vinyl construction to ensure longevity of…
- Ergonomic design maintains neutral spine increasing stability and max power
- Cored construction allows for use at max velocity without risk of injury
- Consistent design and manufacture ensures balls always remain balanced
- Material: Vinyl
- Weight: 20 lbs (9.07 kg)
- Diameter: 14 in(35.56 cm)
The Dynamix Medicine Ball is in our list as one of the best medicine balls on the high-end currently available on Amazon. Dynamix has been making its high-end medicine ball since 1985, considered one of the industry’s standards.
Their medicine balls started to become popular when styles of exercise like CrossFit and circuit training began taking off. This medicine ball is made of heavy-duty vinyl that is durable yet soft and easy to hold.
Its texture offers optimal sweat absorption and scuff resistance to ensure the ball’s longevity. Dynamix makes a wide variety of medicine balls, but this one, in particular, is their 20 lb(9.07 kg). You can get this high-end medicine ball in six different color options.
Amazon Basics Weighted Medicine Ball
- 10-pound weighted medicine ball for upper, lower, and full body exercises
- Constructed with sturdy, firm rubber with weight labeled on both sides of ball;…
- Can bounce off hard surfaces
- Designed for classic medicine ball workouts, including ball toss, weighted…
- Ideal for developing core strength, balance, and coordination
- Material: Rubber
- Weight: 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 lbs(1.81, 2.72, 3.62, 4.53, 5.44 kg)
- Diameter: 8.5 in(21.59 cm)
Like almost everything on Amazon, the company makes its own medicine balls, and they’re solid products. Their Amazon Basics Medicine Ball is a classic style of medicine ball.
This medicine ball is 100% rubber inside and out, durable, and easy to grip. You can do everything from bouncing this ball off hard surfaces to using it for more functional training in ab routines.
It’s a medicine ball that will certainly do the job and is set at a reasonable price. You can currently get the Amazon Basic Medicine Ball, five different weight options, or get the whole set.
ProsourceFit Slam Medicine Ball (Best Slam Ball)
- TEXTURED GRIP – A robust tire tread surface gives you a sturdy grip during…
- DURABLE – A supple rubber shell absorbs impact and holds up through the…
- FULL BODY CONDITIONING – From powerful throws to basics like squats & presses,…
- NO BOUNCING – Dead weight design is perfect for forceful slams without the…
- MULTIPURPOSE – Available from 5 to 50 lbs, gym slam balls are ideal for…
- Material: Rubber
- Weight: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 lbs(2.26, 4.53, 6.8, 9.07, 11.33, 13.6 kg)
- Diameter: 9 in (22.86)
The ProsourceFit Slam Medicine Ball lands on our best medicine balls list as the best slam ball. ProsourceFit makes its medicine ball in two different styles.
Their first style is similar to the ball Trademark Innovations makes, with a smooth rubber surface. ProsourceFit’s other style is like the tread of a tire that is durable for slams and wall throws.
What makes it the best medicine ball for slams is its dead-weight design that won’t bounce. You have better control and more safety when doing your medicine ball workouts.
Right now, you can get this medicine ball in six different sizes and both smooth and tire tread styles.
Champion Sports Exercise Medicine Balls (Best Leather Medicine Ball)
- ELEVATE YOUR ROUTINE: Champion Sports provides workout gear that makes your…
- NON-SLIP, CONTROLLED GRIP: The exterior is made of synthetic leather that lends…
- UNRIVALED, LASTING DURABILITY: Using professional-grade, high-quality materials,…
- MADE FOR A VARIETY OF EXERCISE: The Champion Sports multi-purpose medicine ball…
- MIX AND MATCH: This medicine ball collection offers an array of sizes, colors,…
- Material: Leather Exterior and
- Weight: 4, 6, 10, 12, 14, 18, 20, 22 lb
- Diameter: Up To 11 in(27.94 cm)
Champion Sports make the best line of leather medicine balls with the Champion Sports Exercise Medicine Balls . These medicine balls have a throwback look but are made with modern technology.
They have a soft outer shell that is comfortable to grip while slipping and sweat-resistant. The designers at Champion Sports not only made these balls to be stylish, but also durable.
Each medicine ball from champion sports is reinforced with double stitching and built to last. You can do a wide range of exercises, from slams to squats, and these exercise balls will hold up for years.
Right now, Champion Sports makes their leather medicine balls in 8 different weights separated by color. Either get one to meet your exercise needs or the whole set to complement your home gym.
Amber Fight Gear Leather Medicine Ball (Best Medicine Ball For Fight Sports)
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION: Our leather medicine balls have a durable construction for…
- MULTI SPORT: These balls make a great cross trainer for any sport. From boxing,…
- DEVELOP YOUR BODY: Perfect ball for strength training, cardio, flexibility and…
- Sizes: 9lb
- Material: Leather Exterior
- Weight: 12 lbs
- Diameter: 11.5 in (29.21 cm)
Amber Fight Gear makes some of the best boxing equipment on the planet and equipment for boxing conditioning workouts. Including their, Amber Fight Gear Leather Medicine Ball is our choice as the best medicine ball for fight sport training.
This medicine ball is made of leather and has that classic design like old-time boxers used. It’s easy to grip, and while having a smooth surface, this ball is incredibly durable.
Complete with a large surface area, the ball is a great choice to do slams or catches. With this ball, you can train just like the pros, an official Amazon’s Choice product.
What to Look For in a Medicine Ball?
When you’re looking to invest in a medicine ball, there are three things in particular that you’ll need to look for.
- Materials and Filling
- Weight and Size
- Types of Medicine Balls
Medicine balls come in various sizes and are made of different materials and fillings. There are also different medicine balls made for different exercises that you’ll need to know the difference between.
Materials and Filling
Originally, exercise balls were made of heavy-duty leather and filled with sand. Generally used for functional training and ab exercises like passes to a partner or weighted sit-ups.
As using the weighted balls got more popular, people began making different variations. All are made of different materials and fillings.
You’ll see everything from exercise balls made of cheaper faux leather to PVC filled with sand. Hard rubber with a smooth or tire-tread texture is the other new type of medicine balls with rubber cores.
Weight and Size
What makes medicine balls such a great piece of equipment is the variety of weights and sizes they come in. You will commonly see medicine balls weighing anywhere from 4lbs to 50lbs. Even medicine balls weighing well over 100lbs are designed for strength athletes.
The smaller-sized medicine balls are generally designed for functional and toning training, while the bigger versions are for strength training. Gyms will generally have various exercise balls on hand for whatever type of training their customer wishes.
Types of Medicine Balls
The term medicine ball is a blanket term used for weighted exercise balls. There are three types of exercise balls: medicine balls, slam balls, and wall balls.
- Medicine Balls: Medicine balls are the original exercise balls developed over a hundred years ago. They were made popular by athletes like boxers, that used this for strength and core workouts.
- Slam Balls: Slam balls are the most durable of the three exercise balls and are generally the heaviest. As the name implies, they’re built for being slammed repeatedly. Exercising with a slam ball improves both your cardio and physical strength at the same time.
- Wall Balls: As the name walls ball implies, wall balls are designed for exercises involving walls. They are generally larger than medicine balls and slam balls to absorb impacts. The most common wall ball exercises are squat throws.
Medicine Ball Workout Example/ Basic Medicine Ball Exercises
There are nearly endless exercises and workouts that you can come up with using a medicine ball. Here are some of the many exercises that you can do with one.
- Squats/Wall Ball
- Single-Leg Squats
- Overhead Squats
- One Arm Presses
- Romanian Deadlifts
- Tricep Extensions
- Bicep Curls
- Skull Crushers
- Around The Worlds
- Push-up Variations
- Weighted Supermans
- Lunges with Twists
- Lunges with Ball Overhead
- Burpees with Presses
- Two Hand Throws
- One-Handed Throws
- Flutter Kicks
- Russian Twists
- Turkish Get-ups
What Are the Benefits of Training with a Medicine Ball?
The benefits of medicine balls are the wide variety of exercises and workouts you can do with them. With this compact and durable piece of equipment, you can do everything with medicine balls, from strength to endurance or toning workouts.
What Is the Best Size Medicine Ball for Me?
The best medicine ball size for you will depend on your size and the types of workouts you want to do. Get a medicine ball that you can pick up and perform your desired exercises.
What Are Common Mistakes People Make When Training with a Medicine Ball?
Two of the biggest mistakes that people make with medicine balls are choosing a size too big that you can’t perform exercises with and poor technique. Either one or both of these mistakes often lead to injury. Make sure to carefully consider all features listed above in order to choose the best medicine ball for your specific needs.
Medicine balls are great equipment that allows you to create infinite workouts. All the exercise balls on our list are incredible products that benefit your training routine. Check out the links above and choose which one you think is the best for your needs.
We care about Jiu Jitsu so much that we decided to create this page for all the people like us – that eat, breath and live the Jiu Jitsu Lifestyle! We truly hope our content will make every one of your days better, on the mat and off the mat!