What is the most important thing for training Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu? Hygiene. When it comes to hygiene though, you can only control half of the equation – your personal hygiene.
What if I told you that you can switch the balance in your favor? The answer is easy – switch your regular soap for an antifungal soap. This is a great way to make sure you stay protected at all times.
Common Antifungal Soap Questions
Using a soap doesn’t seem like too much of a riddle to solve right? Still, when it comes to using an antifungal soap, athletes usually do have some questions that tend to repeat themselves.
How Do You Choose the Best Antifungal Soap?
While there are certain criteria when it comes to choosing antifungal soaps, individual preferences are often the deciding factor. Still, you need to take into account:
- whether it can cause irritation
- whether a bar of soap is effective
- whether it has a broad spectrum
- the smell/aroma of the soap
If a soap ticks all of these boxes (like the Defense Soap bar reviewed below), then you have everything you need as an athlete. You even get to choose things like scent and whether it is a bar or liquid soap/shampoo according to your preferences.
Benefits of Using Antifungal Soaps
In comparison to regular soaps, antifungals soaps offer you added benefits. The first is protection, which no regular soap or body wash can offer. If you’re grappling, picking up an antifungal soap is a no-brainer.
The second benefit is in terms of ingredients. Most commercial soaps use quite a few chemicals, while the core ingredients in antifungals are usually essential oils (the [amazon link=”B00R1P82UW” title=”Remedy Soap Tea Tree Oil Body Wash”] reviewed below is a great example). So you get great skincare from soaps made with higher-quality ingredients.
How Do You Know What Type of Antifungal Soap You Need?
In terms of liquid or solid, it will be mostly down to personal preference. However, this comes second given what your skin prefers. Of course, you want your antifungal soap to tick as many of the criteria boxers mentioned above.
However, in certain cases, your skin might require special care, meaning soaps that are hypoallergenic and chemical-free, like [amazon link=”B07J2SKDZL” title=”Ethique Exfoliating Body Wash Bar”]. In these cases, you want as many skin-soothing properties as you want protective ones. Acne can also be something you might want to address by using antifungal soaps like the [amazon link=”B00HNWNXAW” title=”Purely Northwest Tea Tree Oil Body Wash”].
How to Use Antifungal Soaps
Of course, the easiest way would be to just read the directions. However, if you’d like a shortcut, so to speak, it can’t be easier. Wash yourself with water, before applying a layer of the antifungal soap or body wash. Depending on the type, it can be soothing and gentle or geared towards exfoliation.
Make sure you always check for allergic reactions when using a new soap. Simply wash your elbow area on one arm and apply a little bit of the soap. If everything is ok after a few minutes, you can proceed to use it as per the instructions.
The FDA’s Stance
There’s not much controversy in terms of antifungal soaps. But there are certain things you need to be aware of when it comes to full disclosure. The FDA decided a few years ago that antibacterial soaps are not effective, and there’s no science to back up their use. They also required manufacturers to guarantee the soaps are safe before allowing their use.
All of the antifungal soaps we covered in our reviews are completely free of harmful chemicals, hence fall under FDA regulations.
A Few Words of Caution
Of course, there are certain things you need to be cautious about when using a cosmetic product, even natural ones. With antifungal soaps, one obvious thing is that they’re only intended for external use. Moreover, unless specifically declared (like the [amazon link=”B00HNWNXAW” title=”Purely Northwest Tea Tree Oil Body Wash”]) do not use them on children. Also, try to keep them out of your eyes.
Pregnant women also need to exercise caution and consult with their health care provider. However, all the products reviewed above have been proven to be safe to use and fall within FDA regulations.
Review of the Best Antifungal Soaps for Athletes
Training is never a clean thing to do. Personal hygiene is extremely important for athletes, and when it comes to grapplers, it gains an even more important role. Constantly rolling around on mats, in extremely close contact with different people means that you need to stay protected from common gym germs.
While there are plenty of ways you can protect yourself (like wearing a rashguard or picking a pristine academy) there’s a very simple way to make sure you are safe from germs, clean, and smell nice at the same time: antifungal soap. While any antifungal soap out there might do the trick, why not pick up one of the very best?
Best Overall Antifungal Soap for Athletes
Defense soap is more or less the golden standard when it comes to antifungal soaps for athletes. As such it comes in with certain characteristics that are superior to all other similar products.
- Clinically proven – The combination of ingredients in this soap provides a broad spectrum of benefits that include antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal properties.
- Excellent exfoliation – Defense soap contains saponins. As natural cleaning agents, they help remove dead skin cells, dirt, grime, etc from deep within the skin.
- Hypoallergenic – The soap is ideal for sensitive skin. The production process involves triple-milling, which provides perfect consistency which guarantees no irritation whatsoever.
Best Value Antifungal Soap
[amazon link=”B08CNCY687″ title=”Truremedy Tea Tree Oil Body Wash”] is a liquid soap formula that provides a wide range of protection against the most common gym germs, from ringworm to Candida.
- Concentrated liquid solution – Remedy soap contains tea tree oil, aloe vera, and mint in a very concentrated fashion, meaning it lasts much longer compared to other similar products. It is gentle on the skin and has a deodorizing effect as well.
- Enriched with broad-spectrum essential oils – Apart from the tea tree oils, this antifungal soap also contains broad-spectrum essential oils that help cleanse and soften the skin.
- Large 12-oz size – A little of this 100% natural soap goes a long way. Still, you get quite a lot of it, given that it comes in a two-pack, which includes a pair of 12oz bottles.
Easiest Antifungal Soap to Carry
Sometimes, you want antimicrobial protection for your skin, but you want that protection to be portable and easy to carry around. An antifungal soap bar makes the most sense, and the [amazon link=”B000I3Z39W” title=”Tea Tree Body Bar Soap”] fits every requirement in this category.
- Lightweight – at only slightly over 5 oz, you’ll hardly find a more compact and easy to carry antifungal soap than the Tea tree body bar.
- Great shaving companion – Tea tree oil has antimicrobial properties and acts as both an antiseptic and a disinfectant. Along with the soothing properties of this soap bar, this makes it the perfect shaving companion.
- Amazing smell – Enriched with parsley flakes the soap invigorates and soothes the skin naturally.
Most Powerful Antifungal Soap
The antifungal body wash by [amazon link=”B07VZ6FF6R” title=”Viking Revolution Soap”] is the perfect choice for grapplers. This antifungal soap comes in a liquid form and helps deal with anything from athlete’s foot to eczema and body odors.
- Extra strength formula – This soap is not just an effective one at preventing any type of microbes from sticking to your skin, but also works instantly. This is due to the unique combination of ingredients that can fight off even stubborn infections like toenail fungus.
- Soothes itchy skin – Apart from its powerful antifungal and antimicrobial properties, this soap helps soothe and moisturize your skin.
- All-natural – Once again, the powerful tea tree oil features as the main ingredient. There’s nothing but natural ingredients in this particular soap, with Aloe Vera, Mint, and vitamin E also present.
Easiest Antifungal Soap to Carry
- Lightweight – at only 3.3 oz, you’ll hardly find a more compact and easy to carry antifungal soap than the Tea tree and turmeric soap bar.
- Good for all skin types – Handmade with natural ingredients, it creates a creamy lather with immune boosting and antimicrobial properties. Free from palm oil, parabens, sulphates, triclosan, phthalates and cruelty.
- Amazing smell – The combination of tea tree oil and turmeric guarantees not just a powerful antimicrobial effect, but also a very pleasant scent.
Best Extra Features
If you’re looking for an antifungal soap that is effective, made by hand, and is cruelty-free, then the [amazon link=”B07GPHG3L7″ title=”Majestic Pure Tea Tree Body Wash”] is your best choice.
- Not tested on animals – The people behind the Majestic Pure Tea Tree Body Wash proudly advertise they make the soaps without any animal cruelty or testing involved. Whatever your convictions are, this is one positive trait without a doubt.
- Contains carefully picked botanicals – The soap is made by utilizing traditional European methods, as well as special botanicals that are highly beneficial for the skin.
- No harmful chemicals – As expected, this antifungal soap contains no artificial chemicals whatsoever, making it perfect for any skin type. There are no parables or artificial colors, just pure tea tree oils and high-quality essential oils.
Most Powerful Antibacterial Soap
The [amazon link=”B00YNJVJZ4″ title=”antibacterial body wash by Dettol”] is the perfect choice for grapplers. It features active ingredients (Chloroxylenol) that are used to disinfect surgical equipment.
- Extra strength formula – This soap is not just an effective one at preventing any type of microbes from sticking to your skin, but also works instantly. This is due to the unique combination of ingredients that can fight off even stubborn infections.
- Balanced pH– Apart from its powerful antimicrobial properties, this soap helps soothe and moisturize your skin, largely as a result of the glycerin it contains.
For sensitive skin – An abundance of foam guarantees that the experience when washing is pleasant, plus it activates the skin’s natural defense mechanisms. The scent is pleasant but not overly dominant.
Budget Antifungal Soap Option
You may feel that an antifungal soap might not be something you can really afford at the moment. Well, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get one. Moreover, it doesn’t have to be a low-quality one, just because the price is cheaper!
Luckily, Antifungal tea tree Oil Body Wash by [amazon link=”B00HNWNXAW” title=”Purely Northwest”] is a very budget-friendly option out there that meets these requirements.
- Great for removing body and foot odor – When it comes to protection, most antifungal soaps out there will do the trick. When it comes to a very pleasant smell, as well as the power to completely remove body odors, this soap really stands out.
- Perfect for kids and adults – One more thing that sets this antifungal soap apart from others is that it is perfect for use on youth, as well as adults.
- Gets rid of body acne – Made from 100% pure essential oils, this soap doesn’t just battle nail fungus, and jock itch, but is also extremely beneficial in acne treatment. The soap cleanses clogged skin pores and reduces the build-up of bacteria, preventing acne from forming.
Best Extra Features
If you’re looking for an antifungal soap that is effective, eco-friendly, sustainable natural body wash, then the [amazon link=”B07J2SKDZL” title=”Ethique Exfoliating Body Wash Bar”] is your best choice.
- 100% all natural – The people behind the Ethique Eco-Friendly Bodywash Bar proudly advertise they make the soaps that are plastic-free, Vegan, plant-based and 100% compostable and zero waste. Whatever your convictions are, this is one positive trait without a doubt.
- Innovative design – The soap is made with pumice, tea tree and spearmint. It features a special shape, so it fits in your hand. This soap lasts longer, given that it is milled for a denser, harder bar, that is still bubbly and non-drying. Also contains charcoal for even better exfoliation.
- Zero environmental imprint – The body wash is made from biodegradable ingredients. Even the packaging is compostable, leaving no trace after usage. Moreover, 20% of the profit goes to charities fighting pollution. Clean skin, a nice scent and a good deed for the Planet, all in one.
If you’re a grappler, you should have an antifungal soap bar or body wash in your gym bag. In fact, every athlete should have one, given that they have plenty of benefits and virtually no drawbacks. If you’re looking to grab a bar you can’t go wrong with any of the products reviewed above. We made sure we include something for everyone’s taste while focusing on nothing but the utmost quality.
Best Sellers on Amazon Arranged by Rating
We care about Jiu Jitsu so much that we decided to create this page for all the people like us – that eat, breath and live the Jiu Jitsu Lifestyle! We truly hope our content will make every one of your days better, on the mat and off the mat!