Adding a freestanding punching bag to your home gym setup is a great way to bring the gym experience to your daily workouts. Freestanding punching don’t require any installation like hanging heavy bag, but still provide a flexible striking target. But what freestanding bag is right for you and your training?
Like other training equipment, it’s easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer number of options for freestanding punching available on the market. To help make things easy for you, we have put together this list of 10 of the best freestanding punching bags in 2021.
Review Of The The Best Freestanding Punching Bag Options
If you’ve been wondering what the best freestanding punching bag for your needs is, then this article is for you. We have gone through the most popular and bestselling freestanding punching bags available in the market to come up with this list.
Note: You might notice that the brand, Century, makes up the majority of the results. This is not the result of any sort of sponsorship or deal with them, they just happen to make a wide range of high quality punching bags!
Century Wavemaster XXL: Best Heavy Duty Freestanding Punching Bag
- XXL ADULT PUNCHING BAG – The Wavemaster XXL stands 69 inches tall and measures a full 18 inches in diameter, giving you plenty of space to practice your martial arts technique.
- LARGEST STRIKING AREA – The bag section itself is a whopping 52” inches tall with an 18” diameter making it the largest on the market for freestanding punching bags
- HIGH QUALITY MATERIAL – The striking area features a durable vinyl cover sitting atop high-density foam and the low-profile base and ultra-stable weight distribution, this bag will hold up sturdily to your training routines.
- PORTABLE & EASY TO MOVE – Just tip it onto the edge of the base and rotate to roll. This design makes it ideal for use in home and apartment use because it’s not locked in to one location. Training in your garage? Sure! Roll the XXL out for a few hours, then roll it into a corner and park your car overnight.
- MADE IN THE USA – When You Buy A Wavemaster Punching Bag you are supporting a US Company that provides a punching bag of the highest quality lead free materials.
- Dimension: Bag diameter – 18” / Height – 69”
- Material: PU vinyl with tear-resistant construction
- Weight: ~300lbs (when filled with water)
If you’re looking for a freestanding punching bag with an excellent striking surface then the Century Wavemaster XXL is the best option for you. It comes with a proprietary stem stabilization system that makes hitting this bag a pleasure.
The Century Wavemaster XXL is used by top-level martial artists and is ideal for intense workouts. This bag has a heavy base and a large striking surface, making it great for throwing Muay Thai kicks.
If you’re looking for more than just cardio and are trying to boost your striking power and condition your body for combat then this bag is still a great choice. Designed to give the best striking feedback, this is a great bag for martial artists.
This is one of the most common freestanding bags you’ll find in martial art studios – and for good reason. This bag is durable and versatile!
RIF6 Freestanding Punching Bag: Most Secure Base
- Heavy Duty Multilayer Punching Bag – Our boxing bag with dimensions of 12 × 45 in has solid layers made of high quality materials: high strength PVC leather, resilient EPE foam, fiber buffer, coated stainless steel pipe, and a polypropylene base that’s lightweight yet able to bear fairly heavy loads. It’s a tear and rust resistant bag that’s built to last and withstand daily punches, kicks, conditioning drills, and more.
- Dual Shock Absorbing System – Flexible rebound, power hits, and reduced noise made possible by four springs and two gum rubber absorbers. Hit our heavy bag as hard as you can as it has a highly effective power transfer system that provides excellent shock absorption, impact, and resistance that can help you achieve your fitness goals.
- Strong Suction Cups for a Secure Bag – The base of this kickboxing bag comes with 12 suction cups underneath for extra stability. They help keep the bag from sliding even on smooth floors, so you can do your boxing workouts without unnecessary distractions.
- Solid, Fillable Base – This punching bag has a thick and round base tank with dimensions of 23.5 × 12 in and can be filled with 144 lb of water or 195 lb of sand to keep it in place in every workout.
- Fitness and Stress Relief Buddy – You can use our bag for fitness and training purposes, but it doesn’t have to stop there. Release your stress on this freestanding heavy bag as punching can help relieve muscle tension that often accompanies stress. This bag is ideal whether you’re a novice or a pro user. It’s also recommended for both adults and kids. It takes just a few minutes to set it up right at home!
- Dimension: Bag diameter – 12” / Height – 69”
- Materials: PVC leather & resilient EPE foam
- Weight: 188 lbs (when filled with water)
The RIF6 Freestanding Punching Bag is a heavy-duty multilayered punching bag that can be used for practicing different kinds of martial arts. It comes with a Dual Shock Absorbing System that’s designed to deliver flexible rebounds to power hits. This lets you hit this bag as hard as you want all the time!
But what makes RIF6 Freestanding Punching Bag a great choice is its base. Made from polypropylene, it includes 12 suction cups at the bottom to keep in secured firmly in place. This allows the bag to be lightweight and yet able to withstand heavy loads and strong blows.
Unlike many other freestanding punching bags, you won’t have to hold back when using this one.
Century Original Wavemaster Freestanding Heavy Punching Bag: Best Adjustable Height Freestanding Punching Bag
- MADE IN THE USA – When You Buy A Wavemaster Punching Bag You Are Supporting A US Company
- PORTABLE BAG – The Wavemaster Can Be Moved, Tip It Onto The Side Of The Base And Roll It.
- ADULT FREE STANDING KICKBOXING BAG – Works on even floors in home, office and gym studio.
- ADJUSTABLE SIZES – 7 Height Options From 47″ To 68″ In 3″ Increments For Men, Woman And Kids
- Weighs Approximately 250 lbs when filled
- Dimensions: Bag diameter – 13” / Height adjustable from 47” to 68”
- Weight: 250 lbs (when filled with water)
- Material: Vinyl
The Century Original Wavemaster Freestanding Heavy Punching Bag is a relatively portable freestanding punching bag. To move it, all you have to do is to tip it to its side and roll it to its new spot.
The main thing that sets the Century Original Wavemaster Freestanding Heavy Punching Bag apart from the other punching bags is its adjustable height. It can be adjusted from 47” to 68″ and has 3 height settings. The adjustability makes this a great multipurpose bag, you shouldn’t need any other bag for your workout.
Like other Century products, this bag is made in the USA.
Ringside Cobra Reflex Boxing Punching Bag: Best Reflex-style Freestanding Punching Bag
- Made of strong industrial quality steel alloy spring for fast action punching.
- The solid steel body can withstand the most rigorous gym use and is adjustable from 5′ to 7′ high .
- Fill base tank with 140 lbs. of water or sand.
- Perfect for a great cardio fitness boxing workout.
- NEW version now made with stronger steel creating an indistructaqble weld.
- Dimension: Bag diameter – 14” / Height adjustable 60” to 84”
- Weight: 165 lbs (when filled with water)
- Material: Industrial quality steel alloy
Are you looking for a great reflex punching bag that can train your speed and reaction time? If that’s the case, then the Ringside Cobra Reflex Boxing Punching Bag is going to be a great option for you.
Its solid steel body can withstand even the most grueling punches whether at home or in the gym. It’s also quite versatile since its height can be adjusted from 5’ to 7’. The base can be filled with 140 lbs of water giving it enough stability for heavy usage. Due to this bag’s spring design, you’ll need about 48” of extra space around this bag in order to use it.
This reflex punching bag has recently been upgraded with a new and improved version which has even stronger steel – addressing some earlier concerns about long term durability.
XN8 5.5ft Freestanding Punching Bag: Best Budget Friendly Freestanding Punching Bag
- Xn8 free-standing punch bag has a reputation for being the ROBUST STRENGTH TRAINING and skill-enhancing accessory for your home gym.
- Manufactured using the top-quality LAMINA-HIDE LEATHER, serving it the longevity and smoothness. Shock-dissipating (Equi-Shox) foam absorbs and distributes the impact of hard hits you throw at it.
- When unfilled, it weighs light and can be EFFORTLESSLY TRANSFERRED to any place required. Standing design avoids the inconvenience of drilling holes in walls for fitting the frame.
- FILL ITS BASE either with sand or water to get our punch bag ready for your fitness drill. A filled punch bag can approximately weigh up to 331 lbs. (150 kg).
- Feel free to consult our friendly and PROFESSIONAL CUSTOMER SUPPORT if you find any issue with the purchase, although, we are quite sure about the quality of our product.
- Dimension: Bag diameter: 18” / Height: 66”
- Weight: 330 lbs (when filled with water)
- Material: Lamina-hide leather
Are you on the lookout for a robust punching bag that can withstand a great deal of punishment without breaking the bank? If so, then the XN8 5.5ft Freestanding Punching Bag is what you’re looking for.
The freestanding design of this punching bag is very convenient and makes it an ideal choice for home use. Once the base of the punching bag is filled with water, it can weigh up to 330 lbs., giving you a very stable platform for practice.
Its Lamina-hide leather shell is durable and can stand up to heavy usage.
BAS UFC Body Action System: Best Multi-Martial Arts Freestanding Punching Bag
- MASTER UPPERCUTS, HOOKS, LIVER SHOTS & KICKS!
- For all Sizes & Shapes – Adjustable Width, Angles & Height from 4’ to 6 ½’
- Freestanding System – No Hanging from Beam or Gallons of Water Required
- Focus Pads & T-Bars for Side-to-Side Striking, Kicks & Greater Mass for Advanced Core Training
- The closest thing to a real sparring partner!
- Dimension: Height and Width adjustable from 48” to 78”
- Weight: Includes 6 sandbags which can each be filled with 25-30 lbs of sand
MMA, Boxing, Karate, Muay Thai, it doesn’t matter what kind of martial arts you’re into, you can use the BAS UFC Body Action System freestanding punching system You can use it to practice your uppercuts, hooks, and other techniques.
With several arms and targets, this is the next best thing to having an actual sparring partner. You can use this system to build your mind-muscle automation, core strength, and your endurance.
You can get 30 times more muscle activation with this system compared with the more traditional types of punching bags. It also features an anatomically correct head and torso configuration that you can practice on.
Century BOB XL with Base Unit: Best Mannequin Style Freestanding Punching Bag
- Freestanding heavy bag with life-like upper torso
- Creates more striking surface for head or body shot training
- High-strength plastisol body filled with urethane foam
- Polyethylene base holds up to 270 pounds of water or sand
- Rolls easily for transport; multiple height settings
- Dimension: Height adjustable – 60” to 82” / Mannequin – 40″ x 15.5″ x 10.5″
- Weight: 330lbs (when filled with water)
- Material: High-strength plastisol, urethane foam
Mannequin-style freestanding punching bags are really excellent for practicing martial arts. They allow you to practice throwing your strikes at a more realistic target. The Century BOB XL mannequin bag is an ideal choice for those looking for a high-quality mannequin bag.
This mannequin bag is used by martial arts professionals and the military – almost every martial arts gym will have a few BOBs sitting on the mats! You can definitely benefit from it as well.
The Century BOB XL with Base is very portable and versatile. With its multiple height adjustments, you can customize it to fit your training. You won’t hesitate to throw your strongest blows when you’re practicing on this bag.
Century Versys Fight Simulator: Best Stand-Up and Ground Training Freestanding Punching Bag
- The most versatile System on the market
- Ideal for both Stand-Up and ground training
- Provides you with the most realistic workout next to partner training
- Dimension: Bag diameter – 10” / Height – 60”
- Weight: 100 lbs
- Material: Vinyl
Are you into Muay Thai and Jiu Jitsu? One of the problems of practicing these two martial arts is that each sport requires its own equipment. The punching bag you will be using for Muay Thai is generally not going to be useful for your Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or MMA training.
But with the help of the Century Versys Fight Simulator, you can have a piece of equipment that is useful for both sports. You can use this as a freestanding punching bag and for your Brazilian Jiu Jitsu ground training. Next to having an actual sparring partner, this provides the best training for you.
The Century Versys Fight Simulator isn’t just for martial artists. It’s great for ordinary fitness enthusiasts too!
Century VS.2 Versys Grappling Simulator Punching Bag: Best Upright Grappling Simulator Freestanding Punching Bag
- The first grappling simulator to stand upright
- Great for Martial Arts, MMA, Judo, BJJ
- Works for takedowns, holds, arm bars, leg locks and reversals
- Dimension: Upper diameter – 24” / Height – 59”
- Weight: 45 lbs
If you want to train your grappling skills and your striking skills, you usually have to get multiple pieces of equipment. With the Century VS.2 Versys Grappling Simulator Punching Bag you’ll only need one. This is the first grappling simulator to also stand upright.
You can use this bag to practice using striking to setups takedowns and armbars. This is a great tool for Muay Thai, MMA, judo, and BJJ. The Century VS.2 Versys Grappling Simulator Punching Bag can be your sparring partner, so you can have a complete martial arts training experience at home.
Everlast New Omniflex Freestanding Heavy Bag: Best General Purpose Freestanding Heavy Bag
- Nevatear outer shell provides durability and functionality
- Omniflex neck allows for maximum impact absorption and reduced base movement
- Low profile base design for punches and kicks
- Approximately 130lbs when filled with water
- High grade, shock absorbing foam construction
- Dimension: Bag diameter – 24” / Height adjustable from 59” to 67”
- Weight: 130 lbs (when filled with water)
- Material: Nevatear (outer shell)
Everlast is a trusted name when it comes to training equipment for boxing and martial arts. The Everlast New Omniflex Freestanding Heavy Bag is considered by many to be one of best freestanding heavy bags that’s commercially available now.
With this system, you can get all the benefits of a free standing heavy bag while having a highly portable system. You can just store it when you are no longer using it. The Omniflex is height adjustable, which makes it very versatile and ideal for multiple users within the same household.
What You Need To Know About Free Standing Punching Bags
When it comes to freestanding punching bags, the truth is there is no single best option out there. You need to assess your needs and make your decision based on those. Here are a list of features you should consider before buying a freestanding punching bag.
- Design and durability
- Stability and resistance
- Portability and convenience
Design & Durability
Freestanding punching bags must be durable. But, not everyone will have the same requirements here. If you’re not intending on kicking the bag, your durability needs will be less. On the other hand, a Muay Thai practitioner is going to need to find a more robust bag.
For bigger individuals or people throwing heavy kicks, we recommend the Century Wavemaster XXL.
Similarly, smaller individuals need less durable bags than bigger people. Make sure to size your bag accordingly.
If you will be practicing different types of martial arts, then you should get a bag that’s designed for that. If you are buying a bag for home use but you intend to replicate the intensity of the workout that you can get at a gym, then you should buy a bag that’s designed for heavy-duty use.
Stability & Resistance
One of the major complaints that people have about freestanding punching bags is that many are not stable. These bags are going to move and sway while you are using them – a sacrifice that comes with their portability.
The most important factor for a bag’s stability is generally its weight.. For a bag to be stable, it needs to offer adequate resistance against the blows you will throw at it. The resistance offered by the bag is dependent on the base which is filled with either water or sand.
Water is easier both for filling and removal, although sand is heavier and can provide a more stable base. The heavier the base is, the more resistance and the more stability the bag can have. But don’t expect the same level of resistance that you can get from traditional heavy bags.
If you’re a heavy hitter and you want something that you can unleash your full strength on, freestanding bags might not be the ideal choice.
Another factor that you should look into when buying a freestanding bag is its adjustability. This is especially true if there will be multiple users of the bag.
The height adjustment feature is important so that the user does not have to punch up or down when training. Also, height adjustability can let you train kicks today and punches tomorrow without necessarily needing different bags.
If you want to get the most out of your training, you need to get a bag that can be used in different ways and can offer varied heights and levels of resistance. For height adjustability, we recommend the Century Original Wavemaster Freestanding Heavy Punching Bag. If you can afford it, the BAS UFC Body Action System offers nearly infinite adjustability, both in terms of height, width, and even striking angle.
Portability & Convenience
If you’re like most people looking at this list, you are probably shopping for a punching bag that you can use at home.
You’ve chosen a freestanding punching bag because installing a heavy bag at home would be too inconvenient. Installing a heavy bag means drilling into your wall or ceiling to install brackets. Perhaps you live in an apartment where that’s just not an option, or maybe you’re not keen on this type of DIY project.
With the best freestanding punching bags for home use, you can have training aid without the inconvenience of installation.
Another benefit of freestanding punching bags is because of their portability. Because you will be using it at home, you want something that you can move out of the way when you’re done using it.
Freestanding bags are designed to be able to easily be moved, even when the base of the bag is full of sand or water.
Setting Up Your Freestanding Punching Bag
Most freestanding punching bags are made up of three main components: Base, Neck, and Core.
The base is normally made from plastic and it is the section that comes in contact with the floor. It is the part that gets filled with water or sand to keep the whole thing steady.
The neck is the section that connects the base to the upper part of the bag. In some bags the neck is a separate piece from the base – although many products (notably those from Century) have an integrated base/neck design.
The upper part is known as the core. This is the most important part of the since it is the one that gets hit with the strikes. The core is the padded portion of the bag.
The first thing to do after you have assembled your freestanding punching bag is to fill the base with ballast. If you are planning on moving it around often then use water for the base. If the bag will be staying in place, then you should consider using sand. Take note that sand can be challenging to add to the base and is even more challenging to remove!
Different Types of Freestanding Punching Bags
The basic freestanding punching bags have been around for some time now. However, there are now a few different types of these bags available on the market.
If you want an experience similar to using a heavy bag then get a freestanding heavy bag. This type of bag is similar to a traditional heavy bag.
If you train BJJ or MMA then you may want to consider a freestanding bag that can also be used for ground training or what’s known as a grappling simulator. These bags stand up on their own, but once knocked down can be mounted for ground and pound. Some even include arms for you to practice armbar entries.
There is really no single best freestanding punching bag out there in the market today. There are different types of freestanding bags available now, and they cater to different needs. You just need to find the one that will work for you! This list of 10 options is a great place to start and includes high quality bags for a variety of needs.