As Jiu Jitsu has grown not only has its training gear evolved, but so have the bags to hold them in. There are some phenomenal BJJ backpacks and duffle bags on the market that we want to share with you.
The Jiu Jitsu Legacy crew has come up with the 6 best BJJ backpacks and duffle bags available today. This article provides detailed information on each of these bags as well as a quick BJJ bag buying guide to help our readers that are new to Jiu Jitsu choose the right bag.
BJJ Backpack and Duffle Bag Reviews
EliteSports Convertible Gear Gym Bag – Best Budget Convertible Bag
Elite Sports is known for their line of affordable, yet durable products and the EliteSports Convertible Gear Gym Bag is no exception
They really went out of their way to make one of the best affordable convertible gym bags on the market today. The bag offers durable construction that is expandable – and i a great choice for both BJJ or MMA.
You can either wear it like a backpack or expand it and turn it into a duffle bag. Whichever way you prefer, you’ll have various large pockets to hold all of your gear and then some.
The EliteSports Gear Gym Bag is a great budget bag that looks great and comes in three colors. You won’t pay a lot, but you’ll get a lot with this bag.
- ✅ CONSTRUCTION – Our BJJ MMA Training gym duffel bag is made of durable and strong fabric that is coated with heavy-duty PVC. It makes the backpack durable and strong which will keep your valuables safe. This boxing backpack is easy to carry.
- ✅ CONVENIENTLY STORAGE – This boxing gym bag is big enough to keep gym gear, equipment, and other accessories conveniently with expandable storage. The dedicated compartments of BJJ MMA gym bag boxing backpack provide dedicated space for easy storage.
- ✅ EXPANDABLE – Our training gym backpack duffel MMA BJJ gear bag has expandable bottom zipper. The duffel gym bag acts as carry on luggage with vast array of pockets making this athletic bag perfect for keeping your valuables safe.
- ✅ STRAPS – Our sport gym backpack duffel bag has shoulder straps that makes this backpack for gym easy to carry and perfectly suitable as an MMA gear bag, MMA duffel bag, BJJ gym bag, Jiu Jitsu bag, sports, and many other occasions.
- ✅ FOR ALL OCCASIONS – Backpack shoulder straps, and a hand carry strap on top combine to give you a BJJ bag that is suitable for all your needs, whether it be office, sports, gym, or martial arts, with expandable storage space when you need it.
- Style: Convertible BJJ Backpack/Duffle
- Compartments Breakdown:
- 1 expandable, ventilated main compartment
- 1 insulated side pocket
- 1 hard shell valuable pocket
- 1 regular pocket
- Features: Expandable, Ventilated
- Normal Width = 9″ Depth = 16″ Height = 19″
- Expandable Width = 9″ Depth = 16″ Height = 27.5″
Gold BJJ Jiu Jitsu Backpack – My Personal Choice!
- DESIGNED BY JIU JITSU ATHLETES 🥋 Our backpack is made by athletes who actually train every day. We’ve thought of all of the special touches that will make it the last training bag you’ll ever try.
- WATERPROOF GI POCKET 💦 Keep your clean clothes clean, and your sweaty gear quarantined. Easily pack a dirty gi or rashguard in our backpack’s waterproof pocket to keep your gear stink and germ free!
- HEAVY DUTY MATERIALS 🛡️ We doubled down on reinforced stitching and top grade nylon to make sure the Gatame Backpack will remain part of your Jiu Jitsu journey from white belt to black belt.
- ORGANIZE YOUR GEAR 🎒 This backpack has plenty of room for one set of training gear and clean clothes. Looking to carry more than 1 gi or a kitchen sink? Search for our Gold BJJ Duffle Bag.
- BACKED BY THE GOLD BJJ GUARANTEE 💯 We stand behind our products completely. If for any reason you’re not thrilled with your Gold BJJ Backpack, we’ll replace or refund your order no-questions-asked.
- Style: Backpack
- Compartment Breakdown
- dedicated gi pocket
- velvet lined compartment
- belt pocket
- 2 side zippers
- waterproof gi pocket
- 25L capacity
- nylon lining
- Width= 14” Depth= 6” Height = 19”
I have to say that I’m a little biased with this pick, because this is my personal BJJ backpack. This is not hyperbole, the Gold BJJ Jiu Jitsu Backpack is the best that I’ve ever owned.
This bag was made by BJJ athletes for BJJ athletes, and comes with a waterproof gi pouch and reinforced nylon stitching. There’s also an extra pocket to hold your dry clothes, one pocket for your valuables, and two extra side zippers.
The only drawback on this backpack is that at just 25 liters capacity, it may be on the smaller side for some. If you’re bringing pads for Muay Thai in addition to your gi you may need to look elsewhere. Other than that if you’re not satisfied with your backpack, Gold BJJ will refund your purchase, no questions asked.
Check out my full review of my Gold BJJ Jiu Jitsu backpack where I go into depth about why this is my personal choice for a BJJ bag.
Hayabusa Ryoko Backpack – Most Features
- The only gym bag you’ll ever need.
- Exclusive vented glove pocket for easy access.
- Strategic mesh panels deliver optimal ventilation to keep gear dry. Externally accessible laptop compartment.
- Inner fleece-lined pocket with headphone port to keep valuables protected.
- Ventilated design delivers optimal ventilation to keep gear dry.
- Style: Backpack
- Compartment Breakdown
- main compartment
- glove/shoe compartment
- phone pocket
- laptop pocket
- water bottle pocket
- ventilated design
- 100% polyester
- exclusive vented glove pocket
- inner fleece pocket with headphone port
- Width = 13” Depth= 7” Height = 21”
Hayabusa is known for quality, and they went all out with their Hayabusa Ryoko Backpack. This backpack has so many features that I don’t know how they fit it all into one backpack.
It has everything from a main compartment, boxing glove pocket, a laptop pocket, a phone pocket, and a headphone port. All made of 100% polyester and a ventilated design to keep your gear dry.
The only drawback to this Jiu Jitsu backpack is if you know anything about Hayabusa, you have to pay more for their products. But if you have no problem doing that, then this is a great purchase and will last.
FocusGear Ultimate Gym Bag 2.0 – Most Compartments
- Pockets Galore: With 10 total compartments, organization is a breeze. Includes large internal phone pocket and key loop, plus 2 external zippered pockets for other small items. Velcroed back pocket for easy access.
- Full Length Shoe Pocket: Dedicated compartment to separate your dirty shoes from the rest of your gear. Fits up to a men’s size 14 shoe!
- Wet Pocket: Hidden water-resistant pocket is perfect for storing wet clothes and swimsuits. Great for swim practice or sweaty gym clothes.
- 2 Bottle Holders: Includes two external mesh pouches designed to fit a 32oz water bottle and standard size protein shaker. Easy access from the side of your bag for optimal hydration.
- Quality Construction: Firm, water-resistant bottom panel helps bag keep its structure and stay dry, while reinforced stitching on key stress points ensures this bag is made to last a lifetime.
- Style: Duffle Bag
- Compartment Breakdown:
- 10 pockets total
- 2 wet pockets
- easy access pocket
- oversized pocket
- full length shoe pocket
- 2 water bottle holders
- water resistant pockets
- Width = 11” Length = 20” Height = 10.5”
If you want compartments the FocusGear Ultimate Gym Bag 2.0 easily provides you with the most options. An absurd 10 compartments were stuffed into this really affordable duffle bag.
This gear bag includes everything from 2 large wet pockets, a full size shoe compartment, an oversized Gi pockets, and 2 water bottle holders. The bag is built with a water-resistant bottom panel that makes it great not only for training, but also for travel.
This bag has everything you need and then some. You could probably put all of your training gear in this duffle bag and still have extra space left over. Extremely affordable yet offering more space and organization than you’ll probably ever need.
Longevity Gear Mesh Duffle Bag – Most Affordable BJJ Duffle Bag
- All-Purpose Gym Workout Bag – This large duffle bag for men, women, and teens is the ultimate gym bag for MMA, boxing, CrossFit, and BJJ athletes as well as people who enjoy traveling and getting outdoors like swimmers and campers.
- Packable Storage Space – Size 10.5 x 20 x 10.5 inches Offering plenty of storage space for all your fitness accessories, sweaty clothes, weightlifting gear, wrist wraps, shoes, and even scuba masks and snorkels this ventilated gym bag is lightweight yet super spacious.
- Breathable, Ventilated Material – We use a quick-dry fabric in our black duffle bag with mesh ventilation to help reduce odors while clothes are drying. It also provides a cleaner, more hygienic storage space for all your personal workout gear
- Dual Handle and Shoulder Carry – Each Longevity Gear gym duffle bag features two top handles that can be secured together as well as a shoulder strap that lets you throw it over your shoulder and head to the gym for quick, easy use.
- Resilient, Durable, and Fitness Ready – Longevity Gear workout and fitness bags are made for active lifestyles, avid athletes, and high-tempo travelers which is why it’s made to be stronger and more durable for all your indoor and outdoor adventures.
- Style: Duffle Bag
- Compartment Breakdown:
- large central pocket
- Breathable mesh end pocket
- durable mesh side pocket
- ventilated mesh lining
- 600D polyester and vinyl backing
- doesn’t collapse
- oversized SBS zippers
- Width = 10.5” Length = 20” Height = 10.5”
The most affordable BJJ duffle bag on our list is the Longevity Gear Mesh Duffle Bag. It was given the name longevity, because it was designed to last you a long time.
This duffle bag is an affordable no-frills product that will get the job done – complete with three breathable ventilated mesh pockets allowing your bag and gear to dry quickly.
It truthfully isn’t the best on our list, but it is a very good bag that is affordable. If you’re looking for a Jiu Jitsu duffle bag that isn’t expensive, but sturdy and built to last, this is a great choice.
Cobra Grips Sports Large Gym Duffle Bag / Backpack – Largest Bag
- Grip Power Pads Bodybuilding Sport Large Embroidered Gym Duffle Bag with Wet/Dry Storage TWO BAGS IN ONE You can carry this unique gym bag like a classic duffel bag by its adjustable shoulder strap or strong top handles or use the double straps to convert it to a backpack
- ROOM FOR ALL OF YOUR GEAR With a large main compartment plus front, right and left zip compartments you have plenty of space to fit all of your necessary items when on the go. Dimensions (fully extended): 26″ wide x 12″ tall x 12″ deep Dimensions (compressed): 22″ wide x 12″ tall x 12″ deep
- HELP WET GEAR DRY On one end, you’ll find a ventilated wet/dry compartment for airing out dirty shoes, wet towels and sweaty clothes
- ULTRA TOUGH The PVC-coated 600-denier polyester bag resists wear and tear, and the bottom is reinforced with a board and protected by plastic strips for added durability
- COMFORTABLE TO CARRY No matter how you tote it, this gym bag ensures your comfort with padding on its handles and straps
- Style: Convertible BJJ Backpack/Duffle
- Compartment Breakdown:
- extra large center compartment
- left zipper compartment
- right zipper compartment
- side zipper compartment
- 2-in-1 duffle and backpack
- ventilated wet/dry compartment
- made of PVC 600 Polyester
- comfortable to carry
- Height = 26” Width = 12” Depth = 12”
If you can’t decide between a duffle bag or backpack, the Cobra Grips Sports Large Gym Duffle Bag / Backpack has you covered. The Cobra Grips bag is both a classic duffle bag and a backpack all in one.
It is also by far the most spacious gear bag on our list with a height (or width in duffle bag mode!) of twenty six inches . You could probably fit all of your BJJ and kickboxing gear in the main compartment quite easily and still have space.
Durability isn’t an issue with this bag either as it’s made of tough polyester and the compartments are well ventilated.
BJJ Gear Bag Buying Guide
If you’ve just started your Jiu Jitsu journey you might know that you want a bag to contain your gear but not yet be certain what all that is going to entail. This buying guide will help you decide what features you want when you’re buying your first BJJ gear bag. Here is what to look for when buying a new BJJ backpack or duffle bag:
Backpack vs Duffle Bag
There are three types of bags used for BJJ training. A backpack, duffle bag, or a convertible bag which can work as either.
A backpack is more compact and is worn on both shoulders with straps. Generally backpacks are more comfortable for longer commutes. If you’re biking with your bag then you definitely want to look for a backpack as duffles tend to be awkward.
Duffle bags are larger, carry more gear, and can either be carried with handles or worn over your shoulder.
With a convertible bag you can switch between both styles depending how much gear you’re carrying or how far you’re going.
Do I need a wet gear compartment?
Absolutely yes. Wet gear compartments have become an industry standard and just about all BJJ bag companies include them.
If you don’t have a wet gear compartment then you’ll want to have some provision to separate your clean clothes from your dirty gi – an extra laundry bag, or even a plastic grocery bag.
How many pockets does a BJJ gear bag need?
The amount of pockets that you find necessary to hold all of your stuff. But seriously 2-3 pockets to hold your Gi, personal items, and change of clothes should be enough. More pockets can help with organization, although sometimes too many can actually make things more difficult to find!
Although, if you do other kinds of training like MMA or Muay Thai, you’ll need more pockets.
What should I put in my BJJ bag?
Aside from BJJ gear (of course) the rest is totally up to you!
What makes a BJJ bag different from a regular gym bag?
BJJ bags are specifically designed for holding Jiu Jitsu training gear and are superior to normal gym bags. They are designed with sturdier material and additional features like a wet pocket that normal gym bags don’t have.
Should I clean my BJJ bag?
Definitely yes, you should treat your bag just like the rest of your BJJ gear. Clean it thoroughly after every training session and leave it out to dry.
Also try to never leave your sweaty BJJ gear in your bag. This can lead to mildew and a horrible smell that will ruin your BJJ bag.
Can I use my BJJ bag for other purposes?
Of course! These bags are heavy duty and can easily be used for traveling or short hikes.
Which is the best BJJ backpack/duffle bag?
After researching all six BJJ bags, our choice for the best duffle bag goes to the EliteSports Convertible Gym Gear Bag. Not only is it affordable, it’s an expandible convertible bag made by a respectable company known for quality. For us it was the clear choice as the best bag on the market right now.
Our pick for the best BJJ backpack goes to the Gold BJJ Jiu Jitsu Backpack. This is a fantastic backpack that will last you a long time.
If you’re looking for a new BJJ bag, please check out these great products in the links above. They’re all well-made products that will do the job.